Good mental health helps us to more fully enjoy and appreciate the people and environment around us.
We respond better to the stresses and challenges of daily life, we are more creative, use our abilities to the fullest and make the most of opportunities when our mental health is strong.
Stressful life events can have a serious impact our mental health.
To help reduce the likelihood of mental illness, mental disorders and mental health problems, here are a few simple steps which help to promote mental health.
- Share thoughts and feelings with friends, family or a counselor. Talking can help solve problems and relieve stress and anxiety.
- Eat nutritious food, get adequate sleep and exercise regularly. These can trigger a chain of healing affects – especially when we feel anxious or under stress.
- Learn to Relax. There are many relaxation techniques and resources available to suit personalities and lifestyles; e.g., hobbies, reading, meditation.
- Assess your alcohol use. Alcohol is wonderful in moderation. But if used frequently or heavily can cause serious mental health problems.
- Seek Help. At times, a problem can be too hard to solve alone – or with the help of friends and family – so it is important to seek professional help.
There are many people to turn to: the family doctor, a community group, psychiatrists, nurses, occupational therapists, psychologists, social workers, self-help groups and counsellors.