Children of Dependence Suffer Psychological Problems
Previous research has indicated that children in families with alcoholic or addicted parents have a vulnerability to psychological problems. A new study examined the extent and likely hood of;
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),
- Oppositional defiant disorder,
- Conduct disorder,
- Adult antisocial behavior, and
- Nicotine dependence
In this study in Minnesota, USA, over 1,200 teens were examined.
They found that adolescent children of alcoholics and addicts are 2 to 3 times more likely to suffer from this group of problems.
The research was published in the journal of Psychological Medicine. 2008 Apr 15;:1-7, Alcohol and illicit drug dependence among parents: associations with offspring externalizing disorders. Marmorstein NR, Iacono WG, McGue M.
- Adult Children of Alcoholics
- Al-Anon May be able to help
- Alcoholic Family Roles
- Subscribe by e-Mail to Alcohol Self-help News