To the Teen
If you have a problem with food, give yourself the following quick quiz. Be honest — you’re doing this for YOU!
Are You a Compulsive Overeater?
- Do you eat as a response to all kinds of feelings — highs, lows and in-betweens?
- Does your overeating make you miserable?
- Do your eating habits interfere with your social life; or does your social life revolve around food?
- Do you eat normally in front of others and binge when you’re alone?
- Do you drift off in class because you’re thinking about food or losing weight?
- Do you hate gym and other activities because of your weight?
- Do you spend more than you would like to on junk food?
- Do you sometimes steal food — or money to buy it?
- Do you pass up dances and other events because you can’t fit into nice clothes?
- Do you resent people’s comments and “helpful suggestions” about your weight or the amount of food you eat?
If your answer to most of these questions is yes, you’re not alone. Many people, including teenagers, suffer from the disease of compulsive eating — a disease from which we can recover.
More information at Overeaters Anonymous
I particularly recommend ‘Billy’s Story’ and the ‘Twelve Steps and Traditions’ for kids.